Lindsey's Life

Monday, January 24, 2011

More highlights from Tokyo!

We spent a total of 6 nights and 5 days in Tokyo. I think that was a good amount of time. We were able to get a really good taste of the city. The second day we went to the Ghibli Museum, Mitaka. The museum features animation and shows you how it is made. It was really awesome. The theme of the museum is "Let's lose our way, together". Sadly, I was not able to take any photos!
This is the park where the Ghibli Museum is located. It was a beautiful park with lots of fountains and walking paths.
Right outside the park was a cute neighborhood where we had lunch. We also stopped for Yakitori, skewers of charcoal-grilled chicken. I think this guy may have been famous as everyone was taking his photo. The Yakitori was killer!

Mikan (clementines) tree.

Walking down Nakamise-dori to the main temple compound. This street was packed with tourist trinkets and Japanese style crafts.
Sensoji Temple in the Asakusa district, this was only about a 10 min walk from our hostel. The temple is famous for it huge Japanese lantern on the Kaminarimon (main gate, known as the Thunder gate). This gate's protector god's are Funjin, the god of wind and the god of thunder.
In front of the temple is a large incense cauldron, the smoke is said to bestow health. I saw many people rubbing the smoke on their bodies.
We bought some incense to try it out!
All through this area of town were pedicab drivers.
We were so excited to find out that while we were in Tokyo the 2011 January Grand Sumo Tournament was taking place. Fortunately, we were able to purchase tickets ahead of time. We ended up in the nose bleeds but it was still really cool to see.
Getting ready to start! Actually, the guys were not nearly as fat as I thought they would be! Ha! We were able to rent radios with English commentary which was great to know what was going on. I broke mine within the first 5 mins and was so worried I was going to have to buy it! We each had to put down a deposit. So Justin and I ended up sharing!
This was our view! The actual matches only last about 30 seconds or so but it is all about the hype. They guys come out and stretch and toss some salt on the rink for good luck. Then they act like they are ready but wonder back over to the side for some more water. This whole process can last up to 4 mins as that is the max time before they have to start.
On Sunday we visited Harajuku, which means meadow lodging. On the weekends this area is known for young people dressed up in a variety of funky styles and they gather on the Jingu bridge to hangout. It was hard to get many pictures because these old drunk men had cardboard signs saying "No photo" and would put the sign in front of your camera. Harajuku is also a Fashion Capitol of the world, so we spent some time wondering the streets. I could have went crazy shopping but everything is just so expensive so I was limited to window shopping.

I thought this was funny! The mini burger is only for girls! Ha! Forget that, Justin and I both order these huge delicious burgers at this place! Best burger in 12 months!
Overall, we were both really impressed with Tokyo. It was such a cool city with so much to see and do. If I ever win the lottery I will be heading back to get my shop on! They fashion is awesome and I could go crazy in the home decor stores!



1 comment:

  1. Boo!! I wish you could have taken photos of the people dressed up in Harajuku! Awesome pictures though! You make me want to go there!!

    ReplyDelete